Friday, April 30, 2010

My Little Squirt

Well it took forever, but I finally got it done. This is the last one, our little caboose. I have never had a picture so hard to draw before in my life, but it was worth it. I think it turned out pretty good. I will get the final and absolute opinion today when my little ones arrive and Squirt sees her picture. Then and only then will I know if it is worthy of her Highness.

I'm not sure what to say about our little relationship. I know it started out rocky at best. I wasn't allowed to be there when she was born, I was told she wasn't mine, and then she was taken over an hour away from me at the most impressionable time of her life. She never had the chance to know me like her brothers and sister did. That whole coming home at the end of the day and having me scoop her up and get some well deserved tummy sugar. Or having me walk into her class room and pick her up from daycare. I have missed her first words, her first steps, almost all of her 'firsts'.

I suppose we could dwell on that and have what time we do spend together to become uncomfortable and misused, but we don't. We have decided to take each other and hold on tight for every second we have. I love her with every beat of my heart and I make sure she knows it. I will never forget the time she was just sitting outside, playing in the dirt and looked up at me with a big, beautiful smile. I asked her what she was smiling about and she jumped up, ran into my arms and said, " I was thinking about how much I love you, Daddy." then went right back to her dirt moving. I thought my heart was going to explode right out of my chest. My head had filled so much with pride that I thought I wouldn't get it through the door. Yes sir, she has me wrapped, and she knows it. Of course, there was also the time when we were playing and I stopped and said, "I love you, Squirt." to which she simply replied, "I love me too." Ah yes, the witty things she says.

I am so thankful for all 4 of my children. I can't say that I love one more than I love then others. They are all so dear to my heart. But the fact that me and the Little Squirt are so happy together after all of the barriers we had in our way just feels so special.

I love you Squirt. I am so proud to have you as my daughter. I hope that one day I can return the favor and make you as proud to have me as your father.

1 comments:

Smirking Cat said...

I like this one, catching her at a quieter moment. Although my favorite picture of her will always be that one of her holding your arms down on the ground, thinking she wrestled you down and overpowered you :)